FSYC Fall Fire & Fuels Program
FSYC Fall Fire & Fuels
The fall Forest Stewards Youth Corps (FSYC) program builds on the success of the summer FSYC program by creating employment, education, and training opportunities for recent high school and college graduates (18-25). Like the summer FSYC program, fall fire and fuels FSYC crews are hosted and mentored by U.S. Forest Service ranger districts and Jemez Pueblo Natural Resource Department.
Prescribed fire is a necessary tool used by land managers to reduce wildfire risk and restore resilience to forests. The fall FSYC fire and fuels program provides extra capacity to prepare for and complete prescribed burns across New Mexico.
The fall FSYC program prepares participants for careers in natural resource management by providing them with training and certifications in:
- National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) Basic Wildland Fire Fighting (S-130/190)
- Wildland fire chainsaw use (S-212)
- CPR and first-aid
- Defensive driving
- Natural resource management projects including trail building, wildlife habitat projects, range improvements, and others.
- Leadership development
- Job skills such as resume and cover letter writing.
Fall Fire & Fuels Program stats
Updated stats coming this winter. As of 2018:
- 766 acres of prescribed fire
- 15 miles of fire line constructed
- 2 miles of fence repair
- 6 miles of trail maintenance
- 30 college credits awarded
- Over 150 hours of training delivered
Press and reports
- "How the Forest Stewards Guild is building the next generation of fire practitioners."
- USDA Mountainair Ranger District thanks FSYC, Fall 2019
FSYC Fall Fire and Fuels Crew positions details
The Forest Stewards Guild has crew members for three Fire & Fuels crews based out of the Jemez Pueblo Natural Resources Department and the Mountainair and Espanola U.S. Forest Service Ranger Districts.
Crews complete natural resource management projects and participate in prescribed fire operations when conditions and weather permit. Crew Members earn $16.25 per hour and Crew Leaders earn $17.75 per hour.
The program runs from August 14 through November 10 for Crew Leaders and from August 21 to November 10 for Crew Members.
Please contact Sam Berry (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Hiring for all 2023 FSYC seasons is complete. Thank you for your interest.
about our recent projects and upcoming events.