Guild Gathering in the Appalachian Mountain Club’s Maine forestlands
August 15 @ 8:00 am - August 16 @ 4:00 pm
- Thursday + Friday limited to 21 people with food and lodging (must make your own reservation at AMC…see below)
- Friday field tour limited to 30 people
Join us for a Guild Gathering, in the Appalachian Mountain Club’s Maine forestlands.
1. Optional hike in scenic Gulf Hagas during the day.
2. The main event begins at dinnertime. We will gather for dinner and a presentation by Guild members Steve Tatko and Dave Publicover. They will cover:
- The Appalachian Mountain Club’s approach to ecological forest management in the Maine woods.
1. Tour AMC’s lands for a close look at the transition from industrial to ecological forestry. We’ll see:
- An area where restoration harvesting began 15 years ago in northern hardwood and mixedwood forest with an emphasis on shelterwood treatments and beech management,
- Budworm-era spruce-fir stands with early commercial thinnings and a focus on natural regeneration.
- We will talk about AMC’s carbon credit projects and watershed restoration efforts for trout and salmon.
A detailed tour itinerary is forthcoming. For now, look forward to a great day in the woods talking about ecological forestry with fellow Guild members.
Registration does NOT guarantee you lodging. You must call AMC to make your own lodging arrangements. Detailed information is below.
When you register, please indicate whether you intend to stay at the AMC lodge on Thursday night with the main group (lodging and meals included) or only attend the Friday field tour (meals on your own). If you plan to stay at the AMC lodge, please call AMC to make your lodging reservation as soon as possible.
Lodging info (reservation deadline June 16)
Lodging for 21 individuals is available onsite at the AMC Gorman Chairback lodge at AMC member rates, thanks to the generosity of the Appalachian Mountain Club. The cost is $120 for space in a waterfront cabin with shared bath, or $97 for space in a bunkhouse. Rates are per person, per night and include Thursday dinner, lodging, Friday breakfast and Friday trail lunch. SPACE IS LIMITED. Please call AMC Reservations by June 16, 2019 to reserve. Reservations received after this date will be on a space available basis.
1. Call the AMC Contact Service Center at 603-466-2727 Mon-Sat, 9 am to 5 pm.
2. Ask to reserve into Forest Stewards Guild # 434305.
3. Provide food allergy information and vegetarian requests.
4. Payment in full is required when you reserve. We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover.
5. Cancellation Policy: Please note AMC’s cancelation policy has changed; for details, please refer to your confirmation of reservation from AMC.
Gorman-Chairback Lodge is a 2.5-hour drive from Augusta, ME. Limited spaces on this field tour are available for individuals participating Friday only. If you plan to attend only on Friday, breakfast and lunch are on your own, and there is no additional cost to register. If you plan to attend only the Friday field tour, please plan to meet the group at the Gorman Chairback lodge at 8:30 a.m.
Pickup trucks or four-wheel drive vehicles are recommended, as well as spare tires. During the Friday field tour, we will carpool from site to site, beginning and ending at the Gorman Chairback lodge.
Thank you to AMC for the photos (coming soon) on this event page.