August 5 @ 9:30 am - August 6 @ 11:30 am
Kemp Natural Resources Station (9161 Kemp Road, Woodruff, WI 54568)
We often refer to silviculture as the “art and science of growing healthy forests.” For this meeting the Forest Stewards Guild welcomes you to northern Wisconsin to discuss some of the creative ways people are stitching together the art with science to improve the stewardship of our forests.
The first day will start with talks at Kemp Station, followed by a field tour where we will visit the Lake Tomahawk Seed Orchard and a shelterwood site. We will then reconvene at the facility for barbeque dinner (vegetarian options available) and an informal campfire forestry discussion. On Tuesday, we will have a morning hike/discussion in red pine and forested peatland sites.
Registration covers venue costs and all meals; field tour transportation will be via carpooling.
- Event: $55.00 (Monday box lunch and BBQ dinner, plus Tuesday morning pastries included)
- Student: $25.00
- Lodging Monday at Kemp: Add $50 – includes linens
Lodging is limited at Kemp Station, so we strongly encourage you to register early. A small number of spaces are available for Sunday night if you would like to arrive the night before the meeting. For a Sunday night room, please contact Michael Lynch (email@example.com) directly to reserve for an additional $50. The lodging in the registration is $50 for Monday night only.
Please be aware that Kemp offers dormitory style lodging and private rooms are not available. If you would like private lodging, we encourage you to look into the wide variety of hotels in and around Minocqua – note however that this is peak tourism season in this area and availability may be limited. There are also a series of State Forest campgrounds in the vicinity; Clear Lake and Indian Mounds are the closest to Kemp Station (http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/StateForests/nhal/camping.html).
We added a ‘dinner guest’ option if you have someone traveling with you that will be enjoying Northwoods camping, fishing, sightseeing, etc during the meeting but would like to join for dinner.
Thank you to The Forestland Group for their financial assistance with this event. Please consider joining them in sponsoring this or other 2019 Guild Gatherings.
Below is a general outline for the Kemp Station meeting.
- Registration, coffee and cookies (Connor Meeting Hall starting at 9:30 meeting starting at 10:00)
- Welcome and Orientation – Michael Lynch, Forest Stewards Guild
- Individual-Clump-Openings in Red Pine – Jed Meunier, WI DNR
- Irregular Shelterwood – Brad Hutnik, WI DNR
- Engaging Women Landowners in Discussions of Silviculture – Angela Gupta, UMN Extension
- Silviculture with Birds and Bats in Mind – Sarah Herrick, WI DNR
- Silvicultural Decisions in an Age of Climate Change, Maria Janowiak, Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science
Field Tour Sites:
- Lake Tomahawk Seed orchard for a discussion on forest genetics, seed source, and assisted migration
- Shelterwood and Other Hardwood Techniques
- Alternative Approaches to Red Pine Management
- Fire Ecology of Forested Peatlands
Continuing education credits will be available from this meeting.
- Wisconsin Cooperating Forester: 8 hours
- The Wildlife Society: 6 credits
- Society of American Foresters credit total is under review.
Event Sponsors: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor this or another Guild event!