Employer: Forest Stewards Guild
Location: Anchorage, Alaska at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson
Application deadline: January 1, 2020
This position encompasses both fire and land management responsibilities in a challenging, complex and high-tempo military wildland fire environment. Opportunities exist for leadership development and future employment or detail. The position reports to two organizations. Daily operations will be overseen by the module leader on-site, an employee of Center for Environmental Management Military Lands (CEMML). Career development plans, training strategies, and administrative/human relations support will be provided by the Forest Stewards Guild. The WSM will assist Air Force installations and Inter-Agency partners by providing staffing and support to the Air Force Wildland Fire Branch (AFWFB).
Successful candidates will have experience in wildland fire or prescribed fire operations, with a focus on chainsaw skills, effective communication, and a commitment to working with diverse populations. They will:
- Utilize chainsaws and heavy equipment for fuels reduction, hazard tree mitigation (spruce beetle infested stands) and wildfire prevention.
- Engage in all aspects of prescribed fire including fireline construction, ignition, holding, mop-up, rehabilitation, and monitoring.
- Support initial attack on wildfire suppression efforts.
- Operate and maintain motor vehicles, ATVs/UTVs, fire engines and small engines.
- May work in cold, rainy, and variable weather conditions, in remote locations, and on difficult or hazardous terrain and / or in other physically demanding environments. This includes potential risk for unexploded ordinance and other related hazards.
- And more!