Employer: Forest Stewards Guild
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico at Kirtland Air Force Base
Application deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled, up to December 15, 2019.
This position encompasses both fire and land management responsibilities in a challenging, complex and high-tempo military wildland fire environment. Opportunities exist for leadership development and future employment or detail. The position reports to two organizations. Daily operations will be overseen by the Wildland Fire Support Module (WSM) leader on-site, an employee of the University of Montana Center for Integrated Research on the Environment (CIRE). Career development plans, training strategies, and administrative/human relations support will be provided by The Forest Stewards Guild. The WSM will assist Air Force installations and Inter-Agency partners by providing staffing and support to the Air Force Wildland Fire Branch (AFWFB).
Successful candidates will have experience in wildland fire or prescribed fire operations, with a focus on chainsaw skills, effective communication, and a commitment to working with diverse populations. They will:
- Utilize chainsaws and heavy equipment for fuels reduction and wildfire prevention.
- Engage in all aspects of prescribed fire including fireline construction, ignition, holding, mop-up, rehabilitation, and monitoring.
- Support initial attack on wildfire suppression efforts.
- Operate and maintain motor vehicles, ATVs/UTVs, fire engines and small engines.
- Assist with cache management and other logistics assignments as needed.
- Collect and download post-burn data using personal data assistants.
- May work in variable weather conditions, in remote locations, and on difficult or hazardous terrain and / or in other physically demanding environments. This includes potential risk for unexploded ordinance and other related hazards.
- And more!