Employer: The Nature Conservancy
Location(s): Asheville, North Carolina when not on assignment on properties
Application deadline: September 17, 2021
Full position description and application instructions (search job #50288)
The Senior Burn Crew Member participates on prescribed burns throughout the Southern Blue Ridge (SBR) from October 2021 into April 2022 (6 months). The Conservancy supports SBR Fire Learning Network partners on multiple controlled burns each year. Under the direction of the SBR Stewardship Manager and Burn Crew Leaders, the Senior Crew Member provides wildland fire support for single or multi-day prescribed fire operations. Staffing needs for this position average 2-4 operational periods bi-weekly and operational periods are at the discretion of the Stewardship Manager. Operational periods will likely be sporadic and clustered by opportune weather conditions, and no guarantee of a minimum number of opportunities is given or implied. Under supervision by a Burn Crew Leader or SBR Stewardship Manager, Senior Burn Crew Members will participate in opportunities only as their own schedules allow, and thus participation on any given opportunity is not required but is strongly encouraged.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Burn Crew Member will be to assist in wildland fire operations with partners such as state and federal agencies, or on Conservancy preserves in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia. The Senior Burn Crew Member may be asked to:
- lead squads when the burn crew is supporting multiple burns,
- ensure the burn crew received maps and plan transport for crew,
- possibly secure meals and/or lodging for crew,
- lead at annual refresher,
- direct team building and mentor others,
- lead or support fire line workdays,
- support learning and training,
- financial responsibility including corporate credit card usage and expense reporting in a timely manner,
- oversee equipment including radios, saws, blowers, drip torches, hand tools, the engine and shop needs, communicating and coordinating equipment repair needs to the Burn Crew Leaders, ensuring equipment is ready and functioning.