Employer: US Forest Service
Location: Hamden, CT
Application deadline: August 9, 2022
The scientist conducts basic and applied research in forest pathology and related aspects of microbiology, genetics, molecular biology, and forest ecology.
For additional information about the duties of this position, please contact Dr. Therese Poland at email@example.com or 517-884-8062
- Quantify and describe the biology and ecology native or introduced plant pathogens.
- Obtain specific genetic information on components of forest disease, such as invasive pathogens, beneficial microbes, microbial communities, or host trees.
- Test management strategies to reduce host species vulnerability to invasive pathogens (e.g., beech bark disease, Dutch elm disease, and dogwood anthracnose) and synergistic disturbances in forest ecosystems.
- Develop strategies and tactics to mitigate existing and potential non-native plant invasions using plant pathogens.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary teams and engage with municipal, county, state, and federal agency professionals and university partners to define needs and conduct collaborative short- and long-term research projects.
- And more…