Employer: The Nature Conservancy
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Application deadline: None listed
The Fire Program Director supports and guides Chapter programs to ensure the scientifically defensible execution of forest restoration and management throughout NC, with the goal of increasing resilience of forest ecosystems in the face of climate change. This position provides oversight and technical support to TNC fire operations in North Carolina, ensuring adherence to the highest for safety and mitigation of risk, while achieving ecological outcomes.
- Oversees the NC burn program with an average of 130 burns per year on TNC preserves and partner lands. Within NC there are 5 burn bosses (RXB2 or RXB3), 18 fire-trained regular staff with fire as a component of their job, and 50 seasonal fire staff hired annually by field staff.
- Reviews and approves burn plans, supports day-to-day burn planning and operations, and provides fire personnel training and development.
- Plays a prominent role in facilitating the Southern Blue Ridge Fire Learning Network for TNC, with 8 project areas in the mountains of NC, SC, GA and TN.
- Manages grants, e.g. USFS Region 8 funds that support fire crew modules based in NC, GA and KY/TN.
- Advises TNC supervisors on the performance management, training, and career development of fire staff.
- Represents TNC on the NC Prescribed Fire Council and the NC Fire Environment Committee.