Employer: National Park Service – Rivers, Trails, and Conservation Assistance (RTCA) program
Location: Austin, Texas or remote
Application deadline: February 7, 2021
Start and end dates: May 2021 through August 2021
For this project, the intern will develop strategies for the Texas RTCA office, with a focus on increasing assistance to indigenous communities in Texas and Oklahoma. If travel and gathering restrictions policies allow, the selected intern is expected to work at the Austin office or visit Austin for in-person orientation. The project goals are to:
- Establish relationships with indigenous communities and tribal officials in Texas and Oklahoma.
- Identify potential projects with indigenous communities in Texas and Oklahoma that might benefit from RTCA assistance.
- Showcase three RTCA success stories involving collaboration with indigenous communities
- Increase awareness about RTCA assistance among BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) communities in Texas and Oklahoma
Research local organizations, community groups, and key stakeholders in indigenous communities in Texas and Oklahoma. Engage with those organizations, through direct interviews, site visits (as appropriate) and focus groups, to identify recreation and conservation
needs/goals, as well as the necessary support to meet the identified conservation/recreation goals. Research case study examples and document successful collaboration between RTCA and indigenous communities. With support from TX RTCA staff, the intern will interact with the identified communities and present information about RTCA and how it can assist with conservation and recreation planning.
The final products of the internship, which are required for Direct Hire Authority eligibility, will be:
- A detailed strategy that will help RTCA staff effectively engage with and assist Indigenous communities in Texas and Oklahoma.
- Three or more RTCA success stories involving Indigenous/Native communities.
- List of potential RTCA projects in Indigenous/Native communities in Texas and Oklahoma.
|Job Category||Internship, Fellowship or Assistantship|