Employer: Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
Location: Enfield, Maine
Application deadline: March 5, 2020
This is professional forestry work within the Lands Program of the Bureau of Resource Management. As a member of an interdisciplinary team, the person in this position designs, develops and implements timber harvesting to enhance wildlife habitat at 61 Department Wildlife Management Areas (“WMAs”) on over 108,000 acres state-wide. Also, they provide information relative to habitat management objectives, and conduct and oversee fieldwork to attain information necessary to manage wildlife habitat.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Design, development, preparation and implementation of management plans for forested and non-forested wildlife habitats on WMAs.
- Conduct and coordinate timber cruises and vegetation surveys for use in development of operational management plans and timber sales.
- Distinguishes and evaluates various types of wildlife habitat and species relevance in collaboration with Department staff and other agencies.
- Using knowledge of the resource, marks and designates trees to be harvested in the conduct of habitat management operations.
- Develops, plans and oversees road construction and maintenance for access to and within the WMAs.
- Oversees and inspects contractor performance engaged in the conduct of timber harvesting/habitat management operations on the WMAs in accordance with Department standards, policies and Maine law.
- Coordinates with Department staff, local, state and federal agencies on wildlife habitat issues and management.