Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Application deadline: Open until filled (still posted as of May 27, 2022)
The aim of the Forest Restoration crew is to assist landowners with the stewardship practices of their forests primarily through the control of nonnative invasive plants, often with the use of herbicides and hand tools. Other crew projects include occasional timber stand improvement, trail work and native planting work. The Forest Restoration Crew leader will be directly supervised by the Stewardship Director and will be the primary on site supervisor of the restoration technician crew, strategically controlling invasive plants and conducting other forest restoration work on private, public, and conserved lands. This is challenging but rewarding outdoor work. Your work will be contributing to the ecological health of the forests of western North Carolina.
Primary Job Duties: Be available to independently run the day-to-day field operations of the forest restoration crew for 5 days out of the week, unless a time-off request has been communicated to and approved in advance by Stewardship Director who can be available to step in and run the crew as needed. Duties include:
• Supporting, supervising, and training technicians on the crew.
• Being the primary communication hub for the crew regarding daily meet time/meeting locale/weather updates (sending out the evening group text message).
• Driving the EF work truck to and from project sites.
• Coordinating and communicating crew purchase needs with the Stewardship Director.
• Keeping as needed inventory of chemical, tools or other gear needs and relaying pertinent information to the Stewardship Director.