Fire Management Specialist
Employer: Suffolk County Water Authority
Location: Westhampton Beach, NY
Application deadline: none listed (still posted as of May 4, 2023)
Full position description and application instructions
Perform key roles in managing the comprehensive prescribed fire program operated by the Central Pine Barrens Joint Planning and Policy Commission for the Central Pine Barrens region.
- leading the development and implementation of all aspects of the prescribed fire management program
- the supervision and training of prescribed fire crews
- conducting fuels, smoke and wildland fire management/mitigation
- assisting with public education and outreach and the preparation of prescribed and wildland fire management plans for ecological and fuel management in collaboration with other agencies and stakeholders.
- preparing prescribed and wildland fire management plans for ecological and fuel management in collaboration with other agencies and stakeholders.
The overarching programmatic goals for the prescribed fire program include fostering biological diversity, natural resource conservation and restoration and wildfire risk reduction within the Central Pine Barrens. This position is full time (37.5) hours a week and will be a designated term position that exists as long as the commission receives NYS funding to implement a prescribed fire program.