Employer: NC State University Forestry Extension
Location: Western North Carolina. Ashe, Alleghany, Watauga, Avery, Mitchell, and Jackson counties are primary area.
Application deadline: Posted August 17, 2021 and still posted as of Dec 21, 2021
The Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources at NC State University is seeking applicants for a full-time, Extension specialist position in integrated pest management of mountain conifers with emphasis on insects and diseases associated with the intensive culture of Fraser fir Christmas trees. The successful applicant will provide leadership in determining, implementing and evaluating educational programs consistent with the philosophy, policy, and overall educational objectives of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension. They will be responsible for developing and delivering educational programming to county Extension personnel, Christmas tree producers and workers, and other stakeholders in mountain conifers.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Developing an innovative extension program in integrated pest management of mountain conifers with emphasis on Christmas trees that is consistent with the philosophy, policy, and overall educational objectives of North Carolina Cooperative Extension and NC State University,
- Performing, designing, and supporting applied research relevant to Extension needs related to Fraser fir Christmas trees and other mountain conifers,
- Seeking external funding that expands the impact of their extension program,
- Publishing written extension articles/videos, and maintaining the Extension Forestry Christmas Tree website (https://christmastrees.ces.ncsu.edu),
- Providing professional development opportunities for county Extension personnel working within the Christmas tree industry,
- Providing current research-based information about mountain conifers through traditional media (e.g., interviews with reporters and television) and social media to diverse audiences,
- And much more…