Employer: NC State University
Location: Raleigh, NC
Application deadline: Open until filled (still posted as of July 27, 2022)
The position is based in Raleigh, North Carolina, but requires travel throughout North Carolina. The Extension Associate will provide leadership for the development, delivery, and evaluation of educational programming and materials with an emphasis on prescribed fire and fire science.
In addition, the Associate will build collaborative partnerships with a variety of stakeholders including county Extension personnel, landowners, state and federal agencies, non-government organizations, natural resource professionals and others to increase the visibility and reach of Extension Forestry. They will be responsible for developing and delivering educational programming to diverse audiences, including stakeholders from diverse socio-demographic groups and with varied background knowledge of forest management.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in conducting coordination, implementation, and education and outreach components of the SERPPAS Comprehensive Strategy for Prescribed Fire in the Southeast U.S.
- Assist in planning, implementing, and evaluating fire science delivery programs for the multi-institution Southern Fire Exchange (SFE) program as part of the nationwide Joint Fire Science Program Fire Science Exchange Network.
- Understand and connect with the actors and organizations engaged in wildland fire, prescribed fire, and fire science in the southeastern U.S. and deliver SFE programs that support their fire science information needs.
- Serve as the primary editor of the monthly Driptorch Digest newsletter and support development of the bimonthly SFE Fire Lines newsletter.
- Provide leadership and work collaboratively in data management and reporting in support of SERPPAS and SFE programs.
- Maintain existing and develop new programs in cooperation with pertinent agencies and organizations in support of wildland fire in the Southeast.
- Conduct all aspects of virtual and in-person education/outreach events including planning, marketing, event logistics, education, and program evaluation.
- And more…