Employer: State of New Mexico Enrgy, Minrls & Ntrl Rsrcs Department
Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico
Application deadline: January 22, 2020
The position coordinates and directs the implementation of forest management activities within the District including:
- providing technical forestry assistance to provide landowners and state and local government agencies;
- forest insect and disease management;
- safe and effective fire response on non-federal, non-municipal and non-tribal lands;
- wildland urban interface and hazardous fuels reduction to protect homes from wildfire;
- collaborative, cross-boundary large-scale forest restoration planning and project implementation;
- compliance of timber harvest activities with state regulations; and tracking and reporting on performance measures for the District’s activities.
This position is the key management position in the field to accomplish the Department’s goals of Healthy Forests in New Mexico, adjusting the management of fire and forests to adapt to climate change, and mitigating impacts on New Mexico forests, watersheds and communities. The District Forester makes decisions to implement the priorities outlined in New Mexico’s Forest Action Plan.